Tuesday 20 August 2013

#PFWA: The week in review; Nomination show 3

It was a night of RnB and soul. The guest judge of the night was Banky W. He said  the level of talent in the competition was high and even commended some of the contestants for their performances.

 IMMACULATE:  My funny valentine – Chaka Khan

GABBIE- I love this song and was excited when Immaculate said she was performing it. Immaculate delivered as usual, a lovely way to start the show. Yes T.Y Mixie- cutie, it was flawless.  She looked beautiful too. 8/10.

LADY J- Immaculate started rather slow but picked up quickly. She interpreted the song well, sang well and hit notes . I liked her performance but not the song 7.5/10.

L- Love her attitude on stage, she makes being Big look so beautiful. I love this performance, she owns the stage. 7/10.

 BLESSING: Next to me – Emile Sande

GABBIE- Perfect song choice for Blessing.  She even had her Emile Sande hair going on, looking fab. I think the backup singers were quite off on this one, they put a damper to her rendition. I like her adaptation of the song, totally loved the end. 7/10.

LADY J- When I heard Emeli Sande, I thought great choice for her voice as Emeli kinda sounds nasal too but I didn't really like the performance. She started on a shaky note, there were a couple of flat notes, I thought she screamed for the most part but she looked confident and happy and presented her song well. The audience and judges loved it 6/10.

L- For the first time i'm with Blessing. It was a good performance, though few glitches here and there. I like what she wore. 6/10.

OLAWALE: Tell me what to do – Tevin Campbell

GABBIE- He did a good job on this song. Falsettos came in perfect. 7/10.

LADY J- Olawale did very well but I think he could have done a lot better. 6.5/10.

L- It was a good performance, though a bit inaudible. But you could feel the passion. he held his won. 6/10.

  NANCY: Overjoy – Stevie Wonder

GABBIE- Cool, smooth, no stress delivery. I liked it. Nancy is safe from probation being her first performance on the show as a bonafide contestant.  7/10.

LADY J- Nancy sang this song just like the original version and I appreciate that. The song has lots of transitions which she pulled off. Fair effort 6/10.

L- Average performance. 5/10.

  MAGARET: Smooth Operator – Sade

GABBIE- Nice rendition. However, the dramatics were too much. The song is cool and I wish she had softer moments in there. All in all, she did good and looked good too. 7/10.

LADY J- Margaret performed well and sang even better. I like how she added a hint of sensuality to her performance, it was just right for her song choice. She engaged the audience from start to finish 7/10.

L- Firstly, i think it was a very safe song for Margaret, i wanted something very challenging. She pulled it off very well. 6.5/10.

  AYOKA: Have you ever – Brandy

GABBIE- I think this was a very safe choice for Ayoka. Some parts of it had Ayoka and the backup singers singing on different keys. That dint throw her off though, she held it to the end. 5/10.

LADY J- Ayoka could have done so much more with this song, they were a number of flat notes. I didn't quite like 4.5/10.

L- Sometimes i wonder if Ayoka is scared of singing. This is like the safest song she could get for her voice and she didn't pull it off. It was really flat and boring.. 5/10.

  JIMOH: Show me the meaning – Backstreet boys

GABBIE- I dint really like this performance. The backup singers sounded quite lifeless. It just dint do anything for me. Easily forgettable.  4/10.

LADY J- Jimoh hasn't impressed me since the competition started, this night wasn't different. 3.5/10.

L- I'm tired of saying this every time but Jimoh is such a bland singer. I liked some parts of the song, the back up singers contributed in making the performance bad, they changed the tune of the song.5/10.

 OMOLAYO: Just the way you are – Barry White

GABBIE- Omalayo taking on a Barry White song ke? I was skeptical for the brother but I was amazingly impressed. It was a really good job done. Erm Uncle Ben ‘Mr Stable’???? That was dry mbok. 7.5/10.

LADY J- For a Barry White song, I must say Omolayo did very well. 7/10.

L- I'm proud of Omolayo, guy is conistent, his confidence is growing. Omolayo is shining. 8/10.

  JOHNNY:  Got to get you home tonight – Eugene Wilde

GABBIE- Errmmmm, what happened here??? At some point it all went downhill. I totally agree with the judges on this one. 3/10.

LADY J- Just like Jimoh, Johnny hasn't impressed me or himself even. I don't think they are quite ready for the competition. 3.5/10.

L- Johnny what exactly is the problem with you? Everything was wrong. modulation very terrible. you close your eyes every time you're singing, are u afraid of something? pls take 3/10.

 NINI: Miss you like crazy – Natalie Cole

GABBIE- Nini sang quite well but her performance wasn’t engaging at all. Like, she was there and we were here at that was that. 4.5/10.

LADY J- Nini started well and then things went downhill. There was a lot of screaming every time she tried to transpose.  5/10.

L- This is not the Nini i know, are you getting too comfortable? 5/10.

 DAVID – Do you remember – Luther Vandross

GABBIE- Cutsie cutsie David! Loved the song, loved his rendition of it. It was beautiful. David has this Praise thingie about him, abi? Don’t know why he kept looking down sha…. You too shy to sing to me Boo? :D 8.5/10.

LADY J- David looked so adorable on that stage. He sang right and didn't try to do too much which was great for this song. I found his nasal singing a bit distracting, otherwise, everything else was perfect. I loved it 7.5/10.

L- Oh, yummy yummy David. He has improved tremendously. He was really into this performance, so much emotions. Lovely. 8/10.


SIMON: Wonderful tonight – Eric Clapton

GABBIE- My guy SIMON!!! This was puuuurrrffffeeeccccttttt! My climax for the night!  Voice, tone, emotions, key, swag (we still use this) was on point! Wished he played the guitar a little bit longer than he did, that would have been the kill.  9.8/10 (gats hold on to that 0.2 sha). Kugbagidi o! (Whatever that means)

LADY J- I fell in love with Simon's voice today. He was unbelievably comfortable on stage, he looked like he was performing his own song. He had me at the first gesture. This performance was so dope, I absolutely loved it 8.5/10

L- Simon, Simon Simon, how i love this performance. No time for long story. 9.5/10 that's because i believe there's more to show us.

  ROLAND: On and On – Stephen Bishop

GABBIE- It was just ok. It was an extra safe performance. Playing the piano helped else it woulda been a beautiful karaoke session. 5.5/10

LADY J- Roland sang well even though he was playing an instrument. I like the level of commitment he shows. However, He usually has a hard time conveying emotions, he's got this default "oh I'm so afraid" look. The performance wasn't bad at all 7/10

L- Enjoyed the piano playing, he looked sweet on stage.Smooth and sweet performance. 7.5/10.

FINAL THOUGHTS.

PROBATION LIST
The judges put Nini, Ayoka, Johnny and Jimoh on probation.


GABBIE-  I agree with them on this one.  Their performances didn't come as strong this week.

LADY J- Nini, Ayoka, Johnny and Jimoh were placed on probation and I can't disagree with the judges. They all earned their spot on that probation list.

L- I agree with the judges, Johnny is the weakest link in this group. 

Vote your favourite contestants.







No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis