Sunday 11 August 2013

#PFWA: Elimination night... Goodbye Leonard and Oluchi.

It was the first elimination show of the season and of course, it's always sad to see contestants leave the show at such an early stage.
So this is the first elimination show proper, 'absolutely it is'. 'That’s right it is!' Benjamin and Adaora really need to look up some new words because these two have do us! Anyway, back to the matter.



The show started with 5 wild card contestants singing to claim a spot in the academy. At the end of next week, one person will be selected to join the rest in the academy.

Ngozi  performed the classic ‘At Last’ by Etta James.

GABBIE- I like her voice. I think she has a strong Christina Aguilera kinda voice. She delivered her song well though it had a lot of dramatics going on but it was a good one. I want her to go through into the competition proper. She looked good too in that red dress. 7/10

L- She has a strong voice, she didn't do justice to the song. 5/10.

ANWULI: Beautiful - Christina Aguilera

GABBIE- Her voice was ‘shakey-shakey’ all through her rendition; it’s got to be the nerves. It was not a memorable performance for me. I can only remember the dress she had on. 5.5/10.

L- Anwuli is a beautiful girl, but another not so good performance. 4/10.

HENRY: All my life – Kci & Jojo

GABBIE- He sounded like he was struggling with the song. I could tell however that he has a nice voice…. I think it was the song choice that was wrong. Not a memorable performance. The crowd seemed to like it though. 5/10.

L- I feel the only reason the crowd cheered was because of his good looks, that should be the only thing working for him.4/10.

SEAN: Walking away – Craig David

GABBIE- From the start to finish, he sang through his nose. I wasn’t really feeling it cos of that. I also dint like his ensemble. 4/10.

L- To be honest, i can't remember this performance, that's how bad it was.3/10.


NANCY Overjoyed - Stevie Wonder

GABBIE- I like her song choice however I didn't really connect with her delivery. 5/10.

L- I saw her and expected something good from her. she sang and it was a disaster. 2/10.

GABBIE- Out of the Wild Card contestants, I think Ngozi stands the chance. She is my pick.
L- If you ask me, i'll ask them not to pick anyone. ok! i kid. I know nerves also contributed to the poor performances. The 2 with the highest votes will perform again next week and the judges will choose one. I'll pick Henry and Ngozi.
Sorry, Lady J went to the spa and missed the wild card performances, she got in just before the main performances. Welcome Lady J.

Now back to those on probation.

SIMON Crazy - KCi & Jojo

GABBIE- Yes Bibi, the dreads spoke a bit today. Simon let himself go today. He nailed it for me. Right emotions as at when necessary. Good job Simon. 8/10.

LADY J- Simon shouldn't have been placed on probation in the first place, his performance was far from bad. He came back even better, perfected his vocals/act and gave a good show. I also loved that he toned down the theatrics. 7.5/10.

L- No time for senrenre, Cool, Smooth and a lovely performance. 8/10.

ROLAND: Soul Provider – Michael Bolton

GABBIE- There were a couple of tuneless moments in there. Overall, it was not bad at all. It was cool. 7/10.

LADY J- I loved Roland's performance the last time, loved it even more today. He looked much more at ease this time and this made his performance beautiful. He gets 7.5/10.

L- Nice performance but he has to work really hard, noticed same transition issues he had last week.6/10.

OLUCHI: Fire to the rain – Adele

GABBIE- She sang it better than last week. Some shouting went down though. I still don’t like this song for her. 6.5/10.

LADY J- This performance is by far Oluchi's best effort yet. She improved from her last performance. Her vocals were better, her presentation and delivery was more convincing. I liked it 6.5/10.

L- She improved, no unnecessary movements and funny dance moves. 5/10.

LEONARD: Runaway – Styplus

GABBIE- It was a mess…….. I did not like it at all. He frowned all through and looked lost at some point. 3/10.

LADY J- Noooo... Leonard! No!! This song choice is the wrongest thing since Coolio's struggle braids. The song involves very frequent transitions between keys and Leonard couldn't keep up. There was no improvement whatsoever from the last time. All we got was flat notes dunked in zero showmanship. He deserves 2/10.

L- Hot mess, big disaster, worse than last week's performance, worse than wild card performances. 2/10.

 AYOKA: Waiting to exhale – Whitney Houston

GABBIE- I liked Ayoka’s rendition of this song, she put some soul into it. It was a good one. She had some loud moments there though 7.5/10.

LADY J- Ayoka didn't start on a great note. I don't think this song was ideal for her. I wasn't convinced at all. I mean, its not a good Whitney performance if I don't see pure vocal talent. I feel like she would have pulled off another Whitney song better. 5/10

L- It wasn't a great performance, preferred last week's performance. As usual, she was screaming. 4/10.

FINAL THOUGHTS.

GABBIE- Simon had the highest votes! YAAAAAY! Boy was I glad for that one. Whoop whoop!
Roland was saved by the Faculty. Good for him.
Ayoka was saved by the contestants! That was almost a tie with Oluchi. Glad Ayoka pulled through.
Leonard and Oluchi were the first to be eliminated. I agree with this seeing that they were the weakest link from the bunch.

LADY J- It wasn't a surprise for me that Simon got the highest votes from the voting public. His performance was good and he has a look that sets him apart in a crowd. 
Roland was saved by the faculty, deservedly so I must add. 
The contestants saved Ayoka with Oluchi trailing closely behind. Leonard didn't get a single vote, (tell him I sell hugs) says a lot about his interaction skills. This saw Oluchi and Leonard being evicted, I can't say I'm unhappy about this, you'll agree with me that they are the weakest of the bunch if you've been following the show so far. 
If their closing performances are anything to go by, Oluchi and Leonard would be back on the probation list next week.

L- West Africa saved Simon, great, great call. Faculty saved Roland, not bad too. It was time for the contestants to save and 6 saved Ayoka while 5 saved Oluchi. Close call. 
Oluchi and Leonard left the show last night.
 
Please vote and keep your favourite contestants and also remember to vote for the wild card contestants too. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis