Sunday 4 August 2013

#PFWA- Review of Project Fame West Africa. Week 1.

The top 16 contestants performed on Saturday night. It was  supposed to be Elimination night but it was their first time performing together as students of the Academy.

Like i told you last week, we have amazing talents in the academy this year, i'm sure some of you saw that for yourselves last night.
Lady Joy , Gabbie and L will be reviewing last night's performances. Before we review tonight's performances, can we toast to the dopeness that is the Adrenaline band??? They always deliver, they nail instrumentals to the T!


AYOKA  opened the show. She performed Aretha Franklin's 'Willing to Forgive

GABBIE- It was a fair performance. It was an ‘okay’ way to open the show.  She hit some cool notes though and I think I heard one or two off key notes in there.  She did a fair job. I’ll give her a 7/10.

LADY JOY- Ayoka's performance was a great way to start tonight's show. From her stunning figure, styling, her voice, to the song choice. Everything was perfect. She gets a solid 7.5.

L- Ayoka was average, at some point the performance was a bit flat, she picked up towards the end of the performance. 5/10.

OMOLAYO performed 'Lean On Me' by Michael Bolton.

GABBIE- It was cool.  I think a lot more could have been done with the song. Like bring his personality and twist to it. It was like a really good karaoke rendition. 6/10.

LADY JOY-  This is such a classic song that has transcended generations so I expected better, he's got a great voice though and the loud applause at the end of the performance can only mean he gave something that I failed to see. I give him 7/10.

L- Firstly, i must admit i have a special likeness for Omolayo, i expect so much from him every week. His performance was ok, i didn't understand his moves at all. There was something wrong with his body language, he needs to boost his confidence, not what i expected. I 'll give him 6/10.

BLESSING performed Beyonce's 'One Plus One'.

GABBIE- When she mentioned her song choice I was like hmmmmmmmm………………… but…………. She got me right from the start. She was into the song too. There was this annoying tremble going on in the ‘me me me’ part of the song but it was still good. She was into the song. This is an 8.5/10.

LADY JOY- I thought the song choice was all shades of wrong for her and she didn't prove me wrong. Sister gave her all but drowned in this song...... Lets just say queen Bey's shoes are too big for mere mortals *cue Beyonce' Bow Down B*tches* lol. I'll give that performance a 5/10 just because..... I just had a bottle coke and I feel good :)

L- I need to start with her outfit, i'm no fashion icon but that dress was just very formal for that performance. I thought Blessing rushed out of the office to give that performance. I enjoyed it and i loved her body language. It was obvious she enjoyed what she was doing.7/10.

DAVID  performed 'Angels' Wings' by West Life.

GABBIE- Okay, this kinda started out on a boring note for me. Though it picked up after a while put there was not a peak for me.  His voice is smooth though. It was just OK. 6/10.

LADY JOY- I can't say much about this performance because I hardly remember it, my mind must have wandered to the hills in my village or something. I missed most of it. I'll give a 4/10.

L- I have a thing for handsome young men, I think i focused on his looks than the voice. ok! I kid. I enjoyed David's performance, the beginning was boring but he picked up well towards the end. 7/10.

GBEMISOLA  performed Christina Aguilera's 'Bound To You'.

GABBIE- When you want to perform a Christina Aguilera song then you gotta bring it. Well, she tried. I liked the emotion she portrayed throughout the song though some parts came over the top. 7/10.

LADY JOY- I enjoyed this performance, didn't expect much because I didn't think she could pull off a Christina Aguilera song but she brought it.  I love the texture of her voice. She gets a 7/10.

L- I didn't expect much from Gbemisola because of the lackluster performance she gave during the opening night which saw her out of the show until the judges used their church mind and gave her a 2nd chance. I must admit she blew me away. It was a powerful performance. 7/10.

HENRY took up Lionel Richie's 'Three Times A Lady'.

GABBIE- I thing he did this song some justice.  It was just smooth and I also liked the connection with the audience.  Nice voice there. 8/10.

LADY JOY- Henry is one of my faves, I've followed his journey through the years and i can say he has shown incredible dedication. I mean its only right for me to be bias, yes? I knew you would all agree. I hear the chorus YES. :p His vocals were top notch but he could do with a bit of interaction and connection with the audience. I want to see him out of his comfort zone before I make my conclusions. He gets a robust 8/10 just because......... He's my Henry.

L- Henry, Henry. I'm glad he finally has the chance to show the world what he's made off. If you're into talent shows in Nigeria, you will understand this love. Henry has auditioned for ALL the talent shows in this country, they  always drop him just before the final cut. Was extremely excited when i saw him in the academy this year. Henry is blessed with a great voice. But boy, you didn't wow me last night. I just don't like the song, it was a boring performance. 6/10.

IMMACULATE performed 'Halleluyah' by Alexandra Burke.

GABBIE- Oh now this Sistah killed it!  Dull start though but mid song, she brought it. Goodness me! She hit some notes on there. The backup singers sounded somehow.  This was a good one for me. (I can still hear her singing sef ) 8.5/10.

LADY JOY- This song seems to be a regular on singing competitions and truth be said, I've seen far better renditions plus I've seen far better from her. The performance wasn't half bad though and the crowd seemed to love It. She gets 7/10.

L- I think the back up singers joined in making this performance average. Sister Immaculate couldn't find a balance especially towards the beginning of this performance. The crowd loved it. 6/10.

JIMOH  sang Joe's 'I Believe in you'.

GABBIE- This one was one kind, one kind. It sounded somehow, abi is it just my ears? I wasn’t feeling it  at all sha. 5.5/10.

LADY JOY- The best I can say is it didn't werk for me. He gets 3/10.

L- It was a lazy performance- 5/10.

JOHNNY Lionel Richie's 'Do It To Me'.

GABBIE- It was cool. Johnny was smooth on this one. It got me swaying sef. I just liked his flow. I wish he dint hold himself back it woulda been off the roof 8.5/10.

LADY JOY- Nice song, great voice, okay delivery. I wish he put more life into the performance. 6.5/10.

L- Johnny has a wonderful voice but i'm tired of his movements and body language on stage. No effort whatsoever. It was an average performance. 6/10.

LEONARD performed 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight' by Elton John.

GABBIE- Erm, he was kinda talk-singing in the beginning parts than sing-singing (does that make sense to you? No? ok).  It was just alright. 6/10.

LADY JOY- My dad was excited when he heard he'd be performing this song but he literally face-palmed through the performance. This has earned Leonard a fail. He gets a 2.5/10.

L- I know Leo said he had issues with the lyrics of the song......erm.... It was not a very good performance but he has a nice voice. 5/10.

MARGARET performed  Jennifer Hudson's 'I'm Not Doing'.

GABBIE-  I was scared for her when she mentioned her song choice. However, she did a decent one with that though not delivered as powerfully as the song originally is. 7.5/10.

LADY JOY- This is definitely one of the contestants to watch this year. Her voice was on point, she put the right emotions into the performance plus she looked every inch a star. She bags 8.5/10.

L- I need to thank the stylists for making Margaret look like a lady, the transformation is shocking. Back to the business of the day. Margaret is a wonderful singer though I've seen better renditions of that song.6/10.

SIMON-  rocked the stage with Stevie Wonder's 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered,
GABBIE- Okay, this one I enjoyed. He did a good job with the song. I feel like he was kinda holding back atimes. It look liked he wanted to throw some moves in there but decided not to. Next time Simon, go for the kill. 9/10.

LADY JOY- He did his thing, love that he put some energy into the performance. He had my attention from start to finish. He gets 7/10.

L- Simon performed well, he enjoyed what he was doing. Oh! I love that husky voice. He needs to be more audible so people can pick his words. 7/10.

OLAWALE performed Bruno Mars "Just the way you are".

GABBIE- It was nice. A strain here and there………. Overall,  it came out quite good. 6/10.

LADY JOY-  I love Bruno Mars, I'll pay a lot to watch him in concert. No, Olawale didn't do it for me. He gets 3/10 for his effort.

L- It was all over the place, nothing spectacular about the performance, but as usual he got the audience dancing along. 5/10.

OLUCHI performed Toni Braxton's 'Unbreak My Heart'.

GABBIE- Oluchi has this alto (abi) kinda voice, deep like Toni’s. I thought she was gonna nail this song to the wall. Well....it was just ok. Some off notes here and there but she got some parts right sha. 5.5/10.

LADY JOY- I don't think this was a good song for Oluchi at all, i mean its quite obvious that shes got the voice but this song didn't let us feel that voice tonight. Toni Braxton is known for her transitions from extremely deep to husky to high pitched to falsetto. Oluchi struggled to pull this one off. She gets a 5/10.

L- This performance was a disaster. Nothing more to add or subtract. 4/10.

ROLAND performed  Kenny G's 'Even If My Heart Will Break'.

GABBIE- Roland performance was alright. That falsetto was good. I wish it was used a bit longer. 7/10.

LADY JOY- In between lusting after TYMix and receiving high-fives/lectures about this song from my dad, I managed to remember that the performance was good. He gets 6.5/10.

L- Lady J, watch your back, TY is mine (he's single,right?). Back to Roland, I enjoyed this performance, he started off well but ended on a flat note. It was a good performance all the same. 6/10.

NINIOLA performed Celine Dion's 'If that's what it takes'.

GABBIE- I feel like Nini’s performance was good. I liked that she tried to hit those high Celine notes. I wasn’t a bad way to close the show. 7/10.

LADY JOY- Nini as she's known in the competition has the voice, the and most importantly the zeal. Every time I watch her perform, I see a woman who's determined to push the envelope. She did well, performance is one of her strong points too as she always appears to put her soul into it,she gets a 6/10.

L- I expected more from Niniola, she's a great performer and she has that voice. Last night's performance was average. 6/10.
FINAL THOUGHTS.

GABBIE.
Who’s safe?
SIMON, IMMACULATE, BLESSING, JOHNNY and HENRY
Who should be worried?
JIMOH and OLUCHI

LADY JOY.
If my verdict is anything to go by, Jimoh, Olawale, Leonard and David should be singing for your votes the next elimination show.

L. 
Oluchi, Jimoh and Leonard should be worried. Simon, Johnny, Roland and Gbemisola wowed me. Erm! pls add my fine boy, David.

Unfortunately for us, and fortunately for the contestants, no elimination this week. Tonight we'd know the contestants that are on probation after another round of performances.












6 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I love Lady J's reviews. She's the meanie in this group and she's very witty too. Love it. She's the Simon Cowell of the X factor. Gabbie is the angel, i think she's being lenient with her reviews so she must be the paula abdul. L is the
    L A Reid, neither harsh nor 'all praises'. Very nice. Good job guys. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura sup wiv BBA gist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady J is like sweet and sour sauce with her ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry 2crush your hopes Lady J & L but TY Mix is soooooooooo taken that Liam Neeson has nothing on him ;) #InOtherNews I loved the analysis of d trio, well done guys. Laurastiq bebe, biko BBA wey get dedicated channel unlike this one so twld be nice if You cld pls post Tv stations and viewing times for us now, make we sef ff give verdict. #ThanksInAdvance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tee, the first post on project fame on this blog has the broadcast schedule in it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tee, the first post on project fame on this blog has the broadcast schedule in it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis