Monday 5 August 2013

#PFWA- Project Fame West Africa review. Week 1, Nomination night.

It was the first nomination night of the season and the contestants had to sing to impress not only the judges but also the viewers who'd vote to keep them in the game.


JOHNNY was the first to come on stage and he performed 'If I could turn back the hands time' by R Kelly'.

GABBIE- I think this was just okay. Dint love it, dint hate it basically just liked it. 6/10

LADY JOY- I thought this was a very smooth rendition of this song. He had me from the very first note. I love the tone of his voice, I love that he wasn't all over the stage. He stood in a corner and gave Robert Kelly a run for his money. I enjoyed it, the audience loved it. Need I say more? He gets a 8/10.

L- Johnny has a great voice but this performance lacked life,it wasn't powerful. 6/10.

LEONARD performed 'Runaway' by Styl Plus.

GABBIE- I felt like he was trying to channel Shifi or Zeal voice. It sounded a bit off. Leonard kept looking at the floor, don’t know what he kept there. The Usain Bolt pose at the end was the highlight of this (even that was quite dry too). I agree with Ade Bantu, it was Karaoke. 5/10

LADY JOY- The back-up singers ruined this performance even before It started. This song isn't grand, i don't understand why anyone would decide to sing it on a N5m competition if they won't completely kill it. Leonard was visibly uncomfortable, his performance started on a shaky note and stayed that way. I heard a part of the audience scream at the end of this performance and wondered why they let so many of his cousins and neighbors into the live recording. He gets a miserly 3/10.

L- This performance was one kind. he was just stating the lyrics. Leonard lacks confidence. He was just talking and not singing. Right now, he's the weakest link in the academy. 4/10.

HENRY performed 'Unchained Melody' by Righteous Brother.

GABBIE- This guy ‘talk-sings’ a lot. Maybe it is cos he makes sure he pronounces his wprds to the last letter thereby making his singing seem overly calculated. The beginning was good; I also liked some parts of the rendition. 7/10.

LADY JOY- Henry is an incredible singer and can do no wrong in my brown eyes (for now). I thought he belted this number just how it should be done. I admit that he's been playing safe so far but there's nothing wrong with putting your best foot forward first. Right? 7.5/10.

L- I still have a problem with Henry's performances. last night's performance wasn't grand for me. as much as he adds a lot of emotions to his songs, it is not just working for me. 6/10.

DAVID performed 'Knock on wood' by Eddie Floyd. 

GABBIE- This is a groovy song…. Now why dint you swing it Dave? I mean after all this baff up. It was obvious he was holding himself back. You shy or what? It wasn’t bad.The rendition dint hit the spot for me. 6.5/10

LADY JOY- David sounded quite nasal and I could tell he was out of his comfort zone. He started on a not-so-great note and struggled to keep up with the upbeat tempo of the song. We've seen far better from him. 5/10.

L- It is so obvious David sings with his nose. The performance was just there, it was nice to see him do something different though. 6/10.

AYOKA performed  'Waiting to Exhale' by Whitney Houston.

GABBIE- Ayoka has a nice voice. However she was shouting in some parts of the song and this made her sound croackish in parts of her performance. I like the way she was playing with the ‘sooo shoo shoo’ part of that song, sounded like a soul song there. Uhm…… 6.5/10.

LADY JOY- Ayoka was hardly audible at first,I struggled to hear her then things moved quickly to the part where I needed earmuffs. Didn't someone tell her about the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule? Who told y'all its okay to change a Whitney song? She tried so hard to make the song hers, i barely recognized it. No ma'am, except your name is Whitney Elizabeth Houston,leave every Whitney song as it is.  She gets 4/10

L-  Her entry was so weak, like someone told her to whisper.Then Boom, she started screaming. baby girl screaming is different from singing. 5/10.

OLUCHI performed Fire To the Rain' by Adele.

GABBIE- I wish she dint sing this song. It sounded really off. I don’t even know what was going on there……. Tsk, tsk.. Oluchi should try taking on an Anita Baker number. I liked her Dress though. 4/10

LADY JOY- I'm used to seeing Adele standing/sitting in a spot and singing like she's singing for her life so this didn't work for me. Oluchi was swaying and moving all over the stage, I found this a bit distracting plus I don't think she portrayed the right emotions for this song. 5/10

L- Fist of all, they need to teach this girl how to stand on stage. Then her movements were worrying, she was almost dancing bata mixed with atilogwu while singing adele's fire to the rain. Noooo! She tried so much to change the song to her own and she needs to learn how to balance her voice. 4/10.

IMMACULATE performed  Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'.

GABBIE- Sistah with an attitude! My girl killed it! She was in it to win it! Loved her performance.  Cos Immaculate can sing and move she sometimes got carried away and moved the mic away from her mouth and we lost what she sang in those seconds.  But………… she brought voice, character, charisma and attitude. If you did not like this performance, boooooo to you. 9.7/10.

LADY JOY- I gave a major side-eye when I heard her song choice but she did me proud. This is by far the best performance of the night. Immaculate SANG!! She looked comfortable on stage and held her own, she moved that big body a la Aretha Franklin and worked the crowd. We absolutely loved it. She gets 8.5/10.

L- She is a powerful singer, she enjoyed every bit of what she did and i enjoyed it too. Wowwww! And she knows how to move that body. 8/10.

JIMOH performed You Raised me Up' by West Life.

GABBIE-  This song is mellow mellow and it was a basic performance. Don’t know what the crowd heard cos hey cheered loudly when he was done so it gotta be my ears. I don’t agree with Ade Bantu and Joke’s opinions on this one. It was dryish. 5/10

LADY JOY- Nice voice, fair effort but coming after Immaculate's performance? I really don't know how to rate this performance. Will a zzzzzzz do? 4/10.

L- Jimoh is a bland performer, i think they need to give him a juju or apala number to perform next week. His entry was so slow and solemn, slower than the original version of the song. I know you have a phobia for crowd, but boy you need to get used to this if this is really what you want.5/10.

SIMON performed 'Crazy' by KC & JOJO.

GABBIE- This guy has this May – D thingie with his gesture. Oh you dint notice? Ok. Anyway, I think he did a good job. He was in character but like yesterday, he was holding back. I dunno if he is saving it for later but what if you don’t make later? You gotta bring it bro. Yes Bibi, he musto let the dreads speak. 8/10.

LADY JOY- I find Simon very charming. I expected a little better. Loved his interpretation of the song regardless. 6/10.

L- His body language and movements are top notch. I love his voice and loved the performance though the theatrics are much, he should watch it. 8/10.

OLAWALE performed Against all Odds' by Phil Collins.

GABBIE- He sang it quite well but it sha lacked something…….. I dunno what exactly. It wasn’t that engaging. And he had some nasal singing moments in there. Olwale has a nice cool voice shaaa. TY Mix (L & Lady J, calm ya selves) what risk mbok? I dint hear it sha. 7/10

LADY JOY- Olawale has a great voice but I fear for him because a good voice isn't enough in this competition. I think he lacks something, can't put a finger on it......yet. Stage presence, maybe? The judges loved him. 7/10

L- olawale performs all his songs in a different way. I loved his performance, it was smooth. the judges and audience loved it too. 8/10.

ROLAND performed Michael Bolton's 'Soul Provider'.

GABBIE- He started off well then gradually just fizzled out.  It wasn’t a memorable performance. I kinda liked what he did at the end though I can’t even remember what he did. Dint werk for me. 5/10.

LADY JOY- I thought this was a great soulful performance. I absolutely loved it. I'll give a 7/10

L- Roland started off well but something happened along the line. His transitions weren't smooth, he was a bit over the place. All the same i liked it. 6/10.

MARGARET performed Alicia Keys' 'Girl on Fire'. 

GABBIE- On moments here, off moments there. Why were you shouting Maggie? I wish she threw in the Nicki Minaj rap part of the song , it woulda been the peak of her performance cos for me she dint have one. I like the coarse texture of her voice (when she wasn’t shouting). 6/10.

LADY JOY- Its hard to not enjoy a performance when the performer has a great voice and looks the part. She hit notes and showcased her vocal range. I like 7.5/10.

L- Babe is just shining, i need to post pictures from her audition for you to understand. I loved her performance, she hit some lovely notes. 8/10.

NINIOLA performed I'll be there' by Mariah Carey.

GABBIE- Nice start. I liked the minor twists she did with the song here and there. I like her voice too, smooth.  Overall, it was nice. 7/10.

LADY JOY- This performance didn't start well but she picked up. It was average, I love Niniola so its a 6.5/10.

L- Good performance, i liked it. Love her pronunciation, most of the contestants can't pronounce words properly. 8/10.

BLESSING performed  Rapture by Anita Baker.

GABBIE- She always connects with her audience beautifully and she shows the right emotion too. I mean she made Ade Bantu blush.  I like that smile she has going on too. I felt like she had some off key moments or was it just her changing key abi na range in a not so smooth way?  It was a good one Blessing. 8/10 p/s: I feel this song shoulda been given to Oluchi.

LADY JOY- I think Blessing redeemed herself and defended her spot in the academy this night. Her last performance was a disaster and I was pleasantly surprised today. She's got a cute smile and dimples. She took me back to Anita Baker's performance at some BET event some time back. Yes, it was that good. I gave her a 8/10 barely 5 seconds into her performance. 

L- I can't deny the fact that Blessing is a fantastic singer but i'm yet to connect with her. The performance wasn't memorable for me. I felt it was average. 6/10.

GBEMISOLA performed Subway' by Asa.

GABBIE- First off, I love the Grecian look she pulled off.  Gbemisola was in character from the start to finish. I liked it though I wish she sang some parts softer. She did justice to this song. Even Bibi dint have anything to say :D 9/10.

LADY JOY- I don't know what I felt for this performance. I don't think the name for this emotion has been coined yet. I sat there the whole time wondering if I liked  or not. This minute i liked,the next minute i thought she was trying too hard. Bibi Brew and Ms Ige loved it, they said she's unique and unpredictable. They would probably give her a 7.5/10 so yeah.....

L- Now this was the performance. She blew me away, very powerful singer, she should watch her pronunciations though, very ibile (loki)  like. I give her a 8.5/10 and that's because the remaining .5 is expensive.

OMOLAYO performed 'Aye Ole by Infinity'.

GABBIE- I like his rendition. It was a good one. Nice control, nice flow. 7.5/10.

LADY JOY- Omolayo is the only contestant who performed an indigenous song. I like that he kept it simple because this is such a powerful song. His performance was pretty convincing. He gets 8/10

L- He was in his comfort zone, very good performance. I felt like he was preaching to me.He performed with so much passion. Loved it. 8.5/10.

Housemates on probation.
  • Leonard
  • Oluchi
  • Simon
  • Roland
  • Ayoka.

FINAL THOUGHTS.
GABBIE- SIMON – From where to where? I dunno how he ended up here o! Don’t agree with the Judges’ on this one at all
OLUCHI –  No surprise. Her performance was below average. It was probation or probation (yes I said that twice)
ROLAND  - I expected him to make probation
AYOKA -  I’m on the fence with this one
LEONARD – Yup no surprise here either
My verdict: JIMOH instead of SIMON and I would have agreed with this probation list. 
GOODLUCK GUYS! Get your game face on!

LADY JOY- My biggest surprise of the evening was seeing Roland in the bottom 5. Come on madam Bibi and crew, I thought he did Micheal Bolton proud. Oh well.....I'll definitely be voting and rooting for him this week.

L- I'm just here cracking my brain about the judges list. How on earth did Simon make that list? Jimoh should have been there instead. Vote for your favourite. 

The voting numbers are; Ayoka(1), Oluchi(15), Simon (17), Rowland(16) and Leonard(11) send your favourite's number to 306 if you're in Nigeria, Liberia or Sierra Leone and 1745 in Ghana.

Who do you think is in danger? and who is your favourite contestant? 

1 comment:

ShareThis