Tuesday 3 September 2013

#PFWA: NOMINAION SHOW; Night of Covers and Classic Duets

It was a night of covers and duets. Each contestants performed twice. Sound sultan was a guest judge. They started with the covers and Omolayo was the first to hit the stage.
OMOLAYO:     I wish  - Lighthouse family

GABBIE- I don’t really know how I feel about this cover. I just wasn’t feeling it.  The beginning was weak. For a high life song, it was OK but as a cover/remix of a Lighthouse family song it was quite annoying. 5/10.

LADY J- I didn't quite like how he started the performance but the switch to highlife made up for it. He made me want to get my bata on. I don't think he was at his best vocally though his last note was everything 6/10

L- I didn't understand the beginning of the song but he later made the song his own. I liked the fusion of juju.He could have done better though. 6.5/10.

 MAGARET:     Nothing Compares – Third Day

GABBIE- It was fair. Maggie and all her rolling-rolling waist. Not crazy about the cover of the song though. 6/10

LADY J- The back-up singers were practically non-existent. I loved her vocals but there was hardly any connection with the audience. 5/10

L- It was just there for me. Didn't like the beginning. 5/10.

ROLAND:     Gotham City: R. Kelly

GABBIE- Rolly had to take us to church man! I liked his cover. Vocally tough, he sounded stressed in some parts of the song. The falsetto at the end was the highlight and a good finish.  7/10.

LADY J- I like Roland :)
The switch to the upbeat tempo almost ruined this performance. He's got a nice voice though, this saved the day 6/10.

L- I loved it, though a bit of transmission issues but it was really good.6.5/10.

 BLESSING:     Super Woman – Karyn White

GABBIE- Blessing looked good. Love her ensemble. The reggae twist worked for me. I enjoyed her performance 7/10.

LADY J- This performance started on a shaky note as it was neither here nor there. It was nice this minute and flat the next but the switch to reggae made everything right. This was my best switch of the night. 7/10.

L- The reggae part gave me life. For the first time i'm truly impressed with Blessing.7/10.

  DAVID:     Let’s stay together – Al Green

GABBIE- Love this song and loved that David was gonna perform it cos his voice is perfect for it. Vocally, David was great. However, his performance lacked presence or excitement. 5/10.

LADY J- David has a great voice but as far as the weeks theme is concerned, he didn't do it for me. I hardly noticed any switch between genres. 4/10

L- terrible entry, it was below average. 4/10.

 NINI:     You’re still the one – Shania Twain

GABBIE- It was good. Nothing overly fascinating about it though. 6.5/10.

LADY J- When doing cover versions of originals especially in a competition like this, I think it's best to make the switch obvious so the audience aren't left confused. I hardly noticed a difference between the original and her rendition. Her vocals and presentation were on point though. 6/10.

L- She didn't struggle, she didn't do too much. It was good all the same. 6.5/10.

JIMOH:     I Swear – All for one

GABBIE- The idea of the samba abi na salsa infusion was great but the delivery had hitches. He sounded unsure of himself in some parts. And those moves were……………… 6/10

LADY J- I don't think even Jimoh himself can successfully review what he did on stage. I won't try to either 3/10.

L- I'm tired of rating Jimoh. just take this for effort. 6/10

  IMMACULATE:     If I don’t got you – Alicia Keys

GABBIE- Immaculate the drama queen. She brought that presence again on stage tonight  :D
It was good but she was shouting here and there. 7/10.

LADY J- I loved this performance, the switch from RnB to Afro pop was very entertaining however (in my boo TyMix' voice) she shouted for a better part of the performance 6.5/10

L- I loved the performance, the pidgin part gave me life. Watch it girl you're going the Ayoka way stop shouting. 7.5/10.

 SIMON:     Please forgive me – Bryan Adams

GABBIE- Perfect song choice and taking the rock route was just perfect for this song. Love his performance. I agree with Bantu, he was holding back tonight. Simon break these chains na. 7.5/10

LADY J- I love the coarseness of his voice but as far as the weeks theme is concerned, he didn't do it for me. I no see the switch, he didn't quite pull off the fusion of rock & roll. Ade Bantu liked it, I didn't 5.5/10

L- When he was given this song i knew he was going to kill it. He didn't have to do much. He sang, he performed, Everything was good. 8/10.

  OLAWALE:     Beautiful – Asa

GABBIE- Ah! I totally loved this one. Transition was on point and it was very groovy too. Good job Olawale. 8/10.

LADY J- Great vocals plus that switch to Fuji gave me life 7/10

L- Small but mighty, Olawale killed it. The Fuji part was niceeeee and i like it. 8.5/10.

DUETS

 IMMACULATE AND JIMOH:      I am your angel – Celine Dion and R.Kelly

GABBIE- This worked in a lot of parts and was off in a few parts. Immaculate was shouting and drowning Jimoh in some parts and then some parts they were beautifully in sync with each other. Overall, it was a good duet. 7/10.

LADY J- I've seen far better renditions of this song. Between Immaculate's shouting, Jimoh's distracting mohawk and the mute back-up singers, they managed to pull off the song. Fair effort 6/10

L- They complemented each other, actually surrised Jimoh pulled it off. Some mistakes here and there but they were able to move on without people noticing. 6/10.

DAVID AND MARGARET:       Beneath your beautiful – Labrynth and Emile Sande

GABBIE- Both have beautiful voices and worked the song well. However, David wasn’t quite present here. I think something is wrong with David tonight. The performance would have been much more with a lil push from David. 6/10.

LADY J- Margaret's interpretation of the song was perfect, however David wasn't at his best vocally and otherwise. They could have don't a lot better 5/10

L- It was average, i really didn't understand David he was below par. Even at one point i didn't get Margaret. 5/10.


 OLAWALE AND NINI:    Street Corner – Ashford and Simpson

GABBIE- These two worked well together. They flowed and rocked it out with those synchronised moves. They had fun and I had fun watching them perform. Good job guys. 7.5/10

LADY J- This pair complimented each other well, the vocals weren't great but the synergy made their duet work. 6/10

L- It was very good. I enjoyed every bit of it. 7/10.


BLESSING AND SIMON:     Endless Love – Lionel Richie and Diana Ross

GABBIE- I felt this two were a mismatch and it was gonna be an awful performance but, it wasn’t. Some parts were soft and believable and some parts were rocky.  I think the problem was that Blessing just maintained that high range of her voice and Simon (in some parts) tried to step his range up to accommodate hers. 6.5/10

LADY J- These two are planets away vocally. Simon practically chanted over Blessing's singing. It dragged forever, me no like 4/10.

L- These two are from different worlds vocally, don't know who paired them. Blessing's pitch was just too high for Simon. He really tried to meet up but couldn't. It wasn't that fantastic. 6/10.

ROLAND AND OMOLAYO:     I’ll take you there – Bebe and Cece Winans

GABBIE- The boys came to kill it and they did. It was church up in the studio! Roland was definitely home with this one! They did it great and carried the crowd along. Good stage presence too. 8/10.

LADY J- This performance seemed like a scene from the movie, Fighting Temptations. It was engaging, I hollered "Lord I'm blessed" once they were done like I would if I was on the set of Fighting Temptations. Lol. They were brilliant on stage considering that they practiced for only 24 hours 7/10

L- Lord Jesus, i thought i was in church. kudos guys. Best performance of the night. 9/10.

FINAL THOUGHTS.

GABBIE- The judges put all contestants on probation. Again??????? I don’t even know what to say about this. I hope it is not becoming a norm.

LADY J- Till next week.

L- All on probation, it is solely with the viewers to decide who stays. This is risky as your favourite and even the best can leave.Vote to keep your favourites.







No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis